Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Seasoned with Salt

Today I'm focusing on verses 5 - 6 of Chapter 4 in the book of Colossians. It's speaking to us about how we should carry ourselves - our words and actions.
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone".
In this passage, outsiders is referring to those who aren't believers. Does the way we act and/or our words draw them to wanting to know the Lord, or does it repel them?
Don't make the mistake of feeling superior to those who are yet to come to faith in Christ Jesus - he loves them just as much as you or I who are believers, and the way you treat them influences their opinion of Christians.
Salt is a preservative, and it also has been used to cleanse and heal wounds. Our speech is to be "seasoned with salt" - let's make sure our words don't harm, but that they heal and show the love, mercy and grace of our Lord to everyone!
"you may know how to answer everyone" - this is where Bible study really comes in - God will use the Holy Spirit to give us scriptures to use in situations where someone is asking us specific questions about the Lord, salvation, etc. I am a firm believer in making notes and highlighting passages in my Bible; it helps me to remember them, and where they are located, should I need to reference a passage to answer a question for someone.
My Mamaw Willis - my paternal grandmother - was THE Godliest person I've ever known. She would always tell us, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Now we've all heard that from many people, but how many do you know who actually practice that? My Mamaw did - I never in my life heard an unkind word come out of her mouth about anything! She let the Holy Spirit live through her and her life, her home, and all her relationships were filled with a peace that is unexplainable in human words - I could always "feel" this feeling of total love and peace anytime I was around her, and it wasn't until later in my life, when I was in intercessory prayer and felt the strong presence of the Holy Spirit, that I realized that it was HIM - He was present in her life and it was his presence that I had felt all those years.
I named my daughter after my Mamaw - Sarah - God's Princess.
I want my words and actions to be more "seasoned with salt" with each day that passes. I pray that you will desire that too!

Blessings
Janelle

No comments: