Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Saved by Grace

Colossians Chapter 2: 1 - 5 is the focus passage for today. There are so many doctrines in the different denominations that say you have to do one thing or another in order to be saved. This passage clearly states that it's nothing that we do, but what Christ did on the cross in order for us to be saved.
"As for you, you were dead in your trangressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our sins - it is by grace you have been saved".
One of my favorite old hymns since childhood is "Just As I Am" - it is commonly used at the end of service in the Baptist church, when the invitation is given to come forward to recieve Christ as Lord and Savior. I pray that when you read the words of this song, that your heart will be pierced with the love of God, and that you will see that no matter what you've ever done, no matter what state of mind you are in - God loves you and wants you to come to him and recieve forgiveness, love, grace and mercy - to change your life and give you the hope of glory.

"Just As I Am"
1. Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
2. Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot, to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
3. Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
4. Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in thee to find, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
5. Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
6. Just as I am, thy love unknown hath broken every barrier down; now, to be thine, yea thine alone, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

No comments: