Monday, July 14, 2008

Contentment

After taking a break for a few days, I am back to finishing up the final chapter of Philippians.
Today I'm reading chapter 4: 11 - 13
"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength".
This is one passage that I do understand because I have lived on "both sides of the fence". There was a time in my life when I had the financial means to have whatever I wanted, and at another point in my life, I was penniless and on the brink of being homeless.
God was there with me at all times, but I felt his presence more in my life when I was stripped of all material things and had to depend on Him completely for shelter, food, and all my other needs. Once I surrendered myself to rely on Him to get me through my situation, I had unspeakable peace. He taught me what contentment truly means.
It's not wrong to have "things", but it is wrong when we depend on those things for our happiness and well being. I am thankful that I experienced having the things I held as security, taken from me.
I pray that you have a blessed week, and that you seek the One who can bring you peace and contentment in your life, no matter what your circumstances may be.

Janelle

No comments: