Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Anxiety

The final chapter of Philippians is so full of meaningful verses regarding Peace in our lives, I will take a few days to explore them all.
Today I'm in chapter 4: 4 - 7, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".
I'm the type of person who you could say is "high strung", and I deal with anxiety, so these verses really speak to my heart.
What we're being told here is that no matter what circumstance we might be in, to rejoice. What's there to rejoice about, you ask? The words following tell us - "in the Lord". It says that He is near - closer than our very breath. Think about Jesus, who he is, and all that he is - no circumstance can match that.
I have to remind myself to RUN to the Lord everytime I start to feel anxiety about a situation try to overtake my mind and emotions. I get the "what ifs", and the Lord is telling us to come to him in prayer with those anxious feelings, giving thanks that He is Lord, He is listening, and that we know He is in control. It says that when we do this, the peace that He will give us goes beyond what we can comprehend. It's a supernatural peace - not psychological.
I have already been having anxious thoughts today about a situation I have to deal with this morning, and I am thankful that the Lord showed me these verses. I will be praying for the peace he says is ours if we take our fears and anxieties to him. I have to put the situation completely in His hands, and know that he will walk me through.

No comments: