Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guarding Our Words

Today I'm breaking away from my study in Hebrews because in reading my devotional, "My Utmost for His Highest", and my daily reading in Proverbs, the message that's so strong is dealing with our words and how we use them.
In my devotional journal, the scripture is from Matthew 7:1, which says, "Judge not, that you not be judged". It says that the average Christian is the most penetratingly critical individual....OUCH! In the spiritual domain nothing is accomplished by criticism. The Holy Spirit is the only one in the true position to criticize, and He alone is able to show what is wrong with a person without hurting and wounding. It is impossible to enter into communion with God when you are in a critical temper; it makes you hard and vindictive and cruel, and leaves you with the flattering unction that you are a superior person.
If I see a mote in someone else's eye, it means I have a log in my own. Every wrong thing that I see in you, God locates in me. STOP BEING A MEASURING ROD FOR OTHER PEOPLE.
In Proverbs 17:27 it says, "A man of knowledge uses word with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered". A reference to that passage is Job 6:24, " Teach me and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong".

Well, that sure pierces my heart! I know there are times when I fall into being critical, and need a strong message like this to break me and bring into repentance. I've asked the Lord today to forgive me for when I'm critical and hurtful with my words towards someone, and to let me see them through his eyes. I hope you'll do the same.

Have a great Tuesday, and make sure you give the Lord some time - He longs to spend time with you!

Janelle

No comments: