A great "comfort food" dish, that's quick and easy to make, and costs pennies per person. Being a SBPK( Southern Baptist Preacher's Kid), I learned real early in life that you can't be a Baptist and not have a casserole dish....lol We can make ANYTHING into a casserole! :)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take 1 lb lean ground beef ( I use 96/4) and brown with 1/4 chopped onion
- Drain grease and put browned beef and onion mix in bottom of 2 1/2 - 3 quart casserole dish
- Take 1 can whole kernel corn and spread evenly on top of this mixture
- Using 5 medium potatoes, peel and bring to boil
- When potatoes are soft, use enough milk and butter to make them creamy smoothe mashed potatoes
- Put this mashed potato mix on top of layer of corn
- Grate enough cheddar ( I prefer extra sharp) cheese to cover top layer of mashed potatoes and cook in your 350 degree oven until the cheese has melted
- We eat sliced tomatoes for our side dish, but a nice green salad would go well with it too.
This recipe will feed 4 people easily. Nope, it's not low calorie or low in fat, but OMG it is SO good when you just need a little warm comfort on a rainy or cold day.