Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Waited

This Psalm is special to me, because it takes me back to when Sarah and Dude were toddlers - about 4 yrs. and 2 yrs. old.
I had checked out an album (remember those?) from the library at First Baptist, Orlando, and it was called, "Psalms Alive", done by the choir at Chuck Smith's church out in California. Being raised in a Baptist church where mostly old hymns were sung, I'd never heard any of the Psalms put to music, and I fell in love with them!
I was making Christmas presents for my extended family; the kids playing in the living room beside me. I can't recall how many times I played this album over and over again, and I didn't realize how much of it my kids had memorized until I was putting them to bed one night.
After saying prayers, Dude says, "Mommy, sing 'I Waited'". I wasn't sure what song he was talking about and asked him how did the song go.
That precious little 2 year old boy starting singing this Psalm 40, and even did the sounds of the guitars and drum beats. My heart lit up and it was hard to fight back the tears as I started singing the "I Waited" song with my child.
Today I'd like to share this special Psalm with you.
Psalm 40, written by David (which happens to be my son's given name too)
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me up out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet upon a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us, no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
Then I said, "Here I am, I have come - it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.
I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; I do not seal my lips, as you know O Lord.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly.
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O Lord; may your love and your truth always protect me.
For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to save me; O Lord come quickly to help me.
May all who seek to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, ' Aha! aha!' be appalled at their own shame.
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "The Lord be exalted!"
Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer; O my God do not delay.

2 comments:

Simply Shelley said...

Thanks for sharing God's word...I needed it!

Blessings,Shelley

Cookie said...

you always have a way of reaching my heart... just when i need it most!

thank you sister ♥