Friday, August 15, 2008

Wisdom

After taking a break from blogging for a few days, I am back to continue my study of the book of James, and I'm in Chapter 1: 5 - 8. The Lord blessed me with abundant peace as I went for tests, and allowed me to put my anxiety in his hands. Thank God for dear friends who not only prayed for me, but also love me enough to be straight with me and tell me that I needed to turn it all over to the Lord, and not let the stress of everything take it's toll on me physically, emotionally and spiritually.
James 1: 5 - 8 says,
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. BUT, when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded man, unstable in all he does".
Solomon, a son of King David, was one of the greatest rulers of the Bible. When he was given the position of the ruler of Judah, he COULD have asked God for riches and power, but instead, he asked him for wisdom to rule God's people. God did indeed give Solomon great wisdom, but because he didn't ask for material things, but instead sought out the heart and wisdom of the Lord, God blessed him with wealth and riches; according to scripture, more than anyone in history at that point.
The key was that he knew if he asked God for it, he BELIEVED that God would grant him his desire. He didn't doubt one bit, and that's what James is telling us in these verses. Verse 5 says that it WILL be given to all who ask.
When we doubt, as mentioned in verse 6, it refers to going back and forth between belief and unbelief that God will do what he has already said he WILL do. What then, is the point of asking, if one is going to go back and forth in his belief and trust in God?
When making decisions in our lives, whether it's about our families, our jobs and finances, or anything else you can think of, it is imperative that we seek the Lord before making decisions, and not let our emotions do that for us. Ask God for wisdom in these things - in doing so, you are humbling yourself before him, and acknowledging that HE and HE ALONE has the answers and the best plan for you and the things that you are facing.
I pray that you have a peaceful and blessed weekend. Remember to pray for our men and women in the armed services, who put their lives on the line every day for yours and my freedom here in the great United States.

Janelle

No comments: