Monday, August 4, 2008

In the Name of Jesus

It's Monday, August 4, 2008, and I'm trying to figure out where July went! I will be finishing up the book of Colossians this week, and am praying to find out what book to study next. I am also praying that the Lord will heal my neck - somehow a few weeks ago, I injured it, and haven't been able to do much of anything without getting extreme headaches, and the inability to turn my head. I ask that you lift me up in prayer.
Now, back to today's passage. It's Colossians 4:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him".
Whatever we do in word or deed - that pretty much covers everything, doesn't it? We should all be so in touch with the Lord that everything in our lives is done or said with Him in mind. Our words shouldn't be careless, and I am so guilty of spouting off things without thinking at times. I let my emotions rule me, and my flesh takes over and causes me to lash out without thinking. It's sin, and I need to get that under control - the only way to do that is to repent, and turn that over to the Lord, and give Him full control of that area in my life.
When we see 0r hear the phrase, "in the name of Jesus", it means that we do or ask with the idea of representing Him, with His approval. When we are in prayer, and asking God for something, whether it be for someone else, or ourself, and we use that phrase, it's not some magic spell that will make things come to pass. It's praying God's will and his approval for the situation.
Whether you work outside the home, or have the blessing of staying home - everything that you do throughout the day should be done as unto the Lord. The Lord doesn't care if you're the CEO of a large corporation, or a stay at home mom - just give Him glory in any and everything you do. He will in turn, bless your efforts. Thank Him for whatever role you are given, and give your very best.
Enjoy your first week of August!

Janelle

No comments: