Friday, May 9, 2008

Giving Thanks

Today is a very emotional day for me, as it is my last day at my job. I have made many friends there, and it will be hard to say goodbye to them.
It was a decision that I had to seek the Lord on, and I feel that I'm doing his will in my life for the present time.
Now, the verse for today, that I plan to put into action as best I can is I Thessalonians 5:16 - 17
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks IN all things and circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus".
To pray continually translates in the orginal Greek text to mean "like a hacking cough"....we all know what it's like to have a tickle in our throat and not be able to suppress it. That is what our prayer life should be like. There are times when we should be in our "prayer closet" and get face to face with God, and he's also saying that we can and should come to him continually - while going about our daily business. He is available to us no matter where we are or what we're doing, and wants us to just talk to him and ask him for his wisdom and direction, his comfort and peace, ANYTHING that we need.
The phrase that is hard for most of us to practice is where it says, "give thanks IN all things and circumstances". He doesn't say give thanks FOR all things, he says IN all things. Our circumstances might not be pleasant at times, but if we give thanks to the Lord no matter what the circumstances are, He says that is his will for us in Christ Jesus, and will receive our thank offerings and bless us for taking the matter to him in faith and trust.
I thank the Good Lord for providing me with the job I've had for the last couple of years, and I thank him for the friends I've made, and how they have been such a huge part of my life. I thank him for the new opportunity he's giving to me, and today - I will be going to him on a constant basis, because I know it will be a day of tears and goodbyes, and will need his strength to get me through.

Janelle

No comments: