Sunday, October 28, 2012

Southern Comfort....

I have several passions in my life, and one of them is cooking......I call it Southern Comfort, because ...
  1. I'm southern 
  2. Certain foods comfort us....they usually bring back warm memories of someone we have loved deeply, who nourished us in more ways than one....and WHO doesn't like comfort food?  
So when the temps start to drop,  my "need" to cook kicks into high gear!

As I said yesterday, it's a little chilly for us here in the "Sunshine State", because Senor Sunshine has disappeared, and his friends Wind and Cloud have paid us a visit.  

Now I don't mind this for a little while, but we Florida crackers live here because we LOVE the sunshine and warmer temps for the most part of our year.  If we want to see the leaves turn and experience that little nip in the air that a good portion of these great 50 states enjoy, we load up the car and drive north a few hours, or if we wanna make snow angels as the temps continue to drop, we forego trying to drive through that, and find the best deals that Southwest or Delta has to offer!  Once we've had our "fix" of seasons, we head on back home to where we can once again put our arms down, after they have been sausaged into sweaters and long johns, and we don our tank tops, shorts and flip flops, hopefully at least until February!

So while the temps are a little lower than normal, I've gotten out the cast iron Dutch oven, the soup pot and have been cooking up a storm since getting home from church today.

The Menu:
BREAKFAST:
Farmer's Casserole, except I tweaked it.  I prefer sausage over ham, and used sweet Vidalia onion instead of green onions.  The amount of frozen hash browns it calls for is WAY too much, so I reduced that amount by 1/3.  
Here is my version...

SUPPER, today and tomorrow:

Homemade Bread made from this recipe I found on Pinterest....
Here is my version...

I will be dipping mine into a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, garlic and fresh grated Parmesan....Hubby will dip his into a big bowl of this...


Homemade veggie beef soup...

Now I think it's time for a nice Sunday nap, so my soup can simmer a little longer

Hope you are having a blessed day..

Shalom!

No comments: