Today I want to share some of these names with you. I found a few of them written down in the back of my Bible, but have happened upon a website from which I took my opening statement, and also gives additional Hebrew names for the Lord, along with the characteristics of those names. All quotes in italics are taken from this excerpt I found online.
© Beth Rimstidt 2007 Permission is given for non-profit use of the information from this web page provided it is accompanied by the citation:
Used by permission of Beth Rimstidt www.child-bible-lessons.com
1. Jehovah-Rophe - God our Healer (Psalm 147:3) "He heals the broken in heart and binds up all their wounds". God wants to heal not only our sicknesses and physical health but also our emotional health or even our 'land' can be healed.
'Rapha' means restoring something to it's normal state.
2. El Roi - the God of seeing(Hebrews 2:18) - "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted". We use this name if we are seeking God to open our eyes and reveal to us that even though men may not see our good deeds, God sees it all. El Roi means God sees the afflictions or suffering of His people and if we humble ourselves and call on Him, He will come to our aid.
3. Jehovah-Sabaoth - The Lord of Hosts(Isaiah 36 - 37)the Commander to the Angelic Host and the Armies of God. We may call on Jehovah-Sabaoth if we have lost all hope and are defenseless and in trouble, feeling trapped like we have an army of enemies surrounding us on all sides.
4. Jehovah-Jireh - God our Provider (Philippians 4:19) - "And my God will surely supply everything you need, according to His riches found in Christ Jesus". Because God always provides for our needs at the appropriate time. Abraham named the place on the mountain where he was ready to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac "The Lord will Provide", because at the last moment God provided a ram to sacrifice in place of Isaac.(Gen 22:1-19)
5. El Shaddai - God all sufficient - This could be used in unison with Jehovah-Jireh because God supplies all our needs at the prescribed time according to His riches and Glory in Christ.
6. Jehovah-Nissi - The Lord our Banner(Song of Solomon 2:4) - "He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love". This often refers to the banner of God on the battlefield. His banner over us signifies His presence, His power and His provision.
7. Jehovah-Shalom - The Lord our Peace(Romans 5:1) - "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ". The way we gain God's peace over our lives is by trusting Christ and obedience to His commands which results in a 'wholeness' in our relationship with God and with others. Sometimes this is called a 'peace that surpasses all understanding'.
8. El Elyon - The most high God(Psalm 57:2) - "I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me". God is sovereign which means that God is in charge of the entire universe ALL the time. God is so in control of our lives that nothing can happen without His permission. No fortunes, evil dictator's plans or worldly circumstances can thwart His plans.
Some additional names:
Adonai-Jehovah -- The Lord our Sovereign
El-Olam -- The Everlasting God
Jehovah-Elohim -- The Eternal Creator
Jehovah-Tsidkenu -- The Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Mekaddishkem -- The Lord our Sanctifier
Jehovah-Shammah -- The Lord is Present
Jehovah-Rohi -- The Lord our Shepherd
Jehovah-Hoseenu -- The Lord our Maker
Jehovah-Eloheenu -- The Lord our God
Now that I've re-read and delved into scripture to study these names (some of which I wasn't familiar with) I can see more clearly as to why the Lord directed me to post about His names today. You know the old saying, "preaching to the choir"? - well today, that's exactly what I'm doing...........I needed to "hear" this as much or more than anyone! I needed the Lord to remind me of WHO HE IS, and who I am IN Him!