Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stand Still...Me, Lord?

Today when asking the Lord what to show me to post, I was led to I Samuel 12:16. Obviously, He is trying to tell me something that I need to hear for myself, and not just blog about for others' benefit.

"Now then, stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes"!



I don't know about you, but for me to be still is a very hard thing to do! Patience has never been one of my best qualities - I'm high strung and like things done quickly, and usually want them done my way.

Several times in my life, the Lord has told me this very thing - "stand still". I have learned that when it seems like the Lord is quiet and not doing anything while I pace around in some kind of fret mode, that is when he is at work behind the scenes, organizing His plan to happen.

In my journal, "My Utmost for His Highest", by Oswald Chambers, there is a devotion called "Vision and Reality", where I had previously taken notes and journaled about standing still.

It says, "We always have visions before a thing is made real. God gives us the vision, then He takes us down to the valley to batter us into the shape of the vision, and it is in the valley that so many of us faint and give way. God has to take us into the valley, and put us through fires and floods to batter us into shape, until we get to the place where He can trust us with the veritable reality.

The vision is not a castle in the air, but a vision of what God wants you to be. Let him put you on His wheel and whirl you as He likes, and as sure as God is God and you are you, you will turn out exactly in accordance with the vision. Don't lose heart in the process!

Some reference scriptures are: Isaiah 58:11 - "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame".

Isaiah 46: 3 - 4 - "Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you".



Is there something in your life that has got you into what I call a "fret mode"? Does it seem like you're in things all alone? If so, then now is the time to get before God and ask him to calm you and make real to you, those scriptures I just shared.

I am seeking Him as to what area in my life is He trying to speak to me about. What am I doing, that I need to stop doing, and let Him work? I need to get out of the way and let Him move and orchestrate things and circumstances in order for His will to be done in my life.

Have a great Thursday and let the Peace of God rule in your heart..

Janelle

No comments: