Thursday, November 13, 2008

Knowing About God vs. Knowing God

I didn't understand at first why the Lord wanted me to do a study in Jeremiah and post it on my blog, but with each day, I'm seeing more and more as to why He directed me to do so.
I'm still reeling from the links I blogged late yesterday afternoon, showing how violent radicals are on the attack towards Christians, for standing up for what they believe in. I hear from the far left liberals that everyone should be free to express themselves, then usually find that it means you're free to express your beliefs until they disagree with their views. Sounds like a double standard to me.
Back to Jeremiah 7: 9-13, where the Lord is exposing the sin and hypocrisy of his people who want to walk the fence and to "pick and choose" which laws of God and which words of God they want to apply in their lives. It just does NOT work that way, folks. If you are a believer, then you believe the entire Bible, and know that God put every word in there for our benefit. PERIOD.
7:9-13 - "Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, "We are safe" - safe to do all these detestable things? Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching, says the Lord. Go now to the place in Shiloh where I first made a dewlling for my Name, and see what I did to it because of the wickedness of my people Israel. While you were doing all these things, declares the Lord, I spoke to you again and again, but you did not listen; I called you, but you did not answer".
Are you aware that Baal was the god whom children were sacrificed to? Are you aware that parents would throw their living children into furnaces, in offerings to Baal? And while they were commiting these murders, they still called themselves the children of God, and would still go to the temple to "worship" the one True God, Jehovah. Do you see how this is no different than what we witness in our modern society today? No, we don't hear of people throwing thier children into furnaces, but we do hear of children who have been aborted, being thrown into garbage cans, while they are still living after the attempts to abort them. We do have many who call themselves believers who fully support abortion, and I call it what it is - MURDER.
We hear more and more how children have been murdered by their own parents, who have gone over the edge. There are so many of these things happening over the past few years, that it would take me days to list them all.
The Lord tells us in today's passage, that "I've been watching". Don't think for a minute that anything escapes his knowing; and what He sees happening in our worldwide society is greiving his Holy Spirit.
The end of today's passage shows us how the Lord plead over and over again with his people to listen to him, but they didn't. He tried calling out to them to save them, but they didn't answer.
I'm sure if you've ever been to church and the altar call is given at the end of the service, opening the invitation to receive Christ as Lord, that at some point or another, you have felt God calling to you- pulling at your heart to receive him. Did you take his invitation and make his Only Son Jesus, the Lord of your life? Have you continued to go to church all your life, singing all the hymns, following along in the Bible, and learned all about God, yet never answered his intimate call to your heart?
Knowing about God, and knowing God are two different things. He desires a close and personal relationship with each of us, and today he is again pleading with you to accept his invitation into his family.

1 comment:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

So very true! How sobering to read God's word saying that "He is watching."

Thank you for sharing your heart, Janelle. These are much needed words.

Blessings,
Lea