Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Lord's Faithfulness

Faith....something that we all have, but what is our faith IN?
Hebrews 11:1 says, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see".
I use to think that my faith in the Lord was what kept me going. I think the older I get, the more I realize that it has NOTHING to do with me at all, but my faith should be in the Lord's faithfulness. It's all about HIM!
He has promised us that he would never leave us or forsake us - when I'm going through a rough spot in life, and feel alone - do I really keep my faith focused on his faithfulness to that promise?
He has promised us that he will provide us all that we need - when things get tight financially, do I hold onto his promise that Jehovah Jireh IS my provider, or do I let myself get into a state of fear of "what am I going to do". Yes, I wrestled with this one this past week, and had to repent for letting fear replace my faith in his Word.
He has promised us eternal life with him in Heaven - I think it's easier for us as Christians to hold onto that promise. I don't question my salvation, or that when I leave this earth, I'll go straight to heaven to be with the Lord.
So why can we take Him at His Word in some things and not others? I think because as humans and our sin nature, we let "self" get in the way - we try to handle things and figure out things for ourselves far too often, instead of running to what should be the source of our faith - that is Christ Jesus.
Verse 6 of Hebrews 11 says, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him".
I want to please my Father, God. I want my faith in His faithfulness to grow more each day.
I pray you have a blessed weekend, and that the Lord will prove His faithfulness in your life in that area in which you're struggling.
Janelle

1 comment:

Cookie said...

We are bombarded daily with the notion we are strong, invincible and if we want something done, we can do it ourselves! The world wants us to believe it's ME and ME ALONE - but you bring to mind a great song by Jennifer Knapp with words that ring scripturally true:

All these years to many ahead to think clear.
Some say where's my crystal ball.
Some men play the lottery
Makin bets against the governments economy.
They say I'd rather be rich than be alive at all.

When men in miry circumstances fall.
It won't be hard to tell where they placed their resolve.

Some trust in chariots.
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
To each his own won't lead you home
And probably never will.
I won't trust in the things I do.
They will not stand. they won't come through.
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God
I'll trust in the name..

Picket fences may build our defense.
In domestic wars of leisure suits.
That's OK it doesn't bother me.
You can hold onto your philosophy
Of What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours
But whats the truth?

When the walls do crumble and they fall.
It won't be hard to tell where we place our resolve.

Some trust in chariots.
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
To each his own won't lead you home
And probably never will.
I won't trust in the things I do.
They will not stand. they won't come through.
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God
I'll trust in the name...

When the walls do crumble
And what will I find to hold on to.
Thats stronger than my Jesus?
Sing hallelujah...hallelujah…

When the walls do crumble and they fall
It won't be hard to see where we place our resolve...

Some trust in chariots.
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
To each his own won't lead you home
And probably never will.
I won't trust in the things I do.
They will not stand. they won't come through.
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God
I'll trust in the name…