Sunday, May 18, 2008

Putting God's Word into Practice

Today I am taking scripture from the NT, in the book of James, chapter 1:22-25.
The book of James is focusing on the practical aspects of Christian conduct.
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does".
As a Christian, we are called to practice what Jesus lived - the fruit of the Spirit, as mentioned in Galatians 5:22. "Love, joy, peace patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control".
As a student of God's word, I have read and understood this passage, among others, about how one should live as a Christian. Do I always abide by these things? No, and none of us can say that we do all the time, or we would be liars. We are all sinners saved by grace. We all need to daily commit ourselves to prayer and ask the Lord's guidance in our lives - for his Holy Spirit to quickly convict us of any sin, and be quick to repent.
My prayer today is that I'll practice what I read and hear from God's word and his Holy Spirit. When I see Jesus face to face, I want to hear the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant".

No comments: