Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Going Home

"But while he was still a long way out, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him". Luke 15:20

I took that passage from the Gospel of Luke, where Jesus is telling the story of "The Prodigal Son".
Here's the gist of the story: There's a man who had two sons, and the younger son asks his father for his share of his inheritance, and when he had his, he ran off to a foreign country and lived beyond his means, partying and wasting his money away. After he was completely broke, the country he was living in had a severe famine, and he was in great need. He had to take a job working with pigs, and was so hungry he was willing to eat what the pigs were eating.
He finally came to his senses and realized that even the men who worked for his father had food to eat, and decided to return home and ask his father's forgiveness.
His father saw him in the distance, and ran to him; wrapping his arms around him and kissing his beloved son. After his son said he was sorry, he told his father that he was no longer worthy to be his son, but the father answered like this: " Bring the best robe and put it on him, put a ring on his finger, and sandals on his feet. We're going to throw a feast and celebrate, for this son of mine was dead, and is alive again; he was lost and now he's found".
Have you ever been in this same scenario? I know I have - I gave my heart to the Lord as a young child, and as I grew older, the peer pressure and situations of life drew me away from my relationship with Jesus, and it wasn't until I hit rock bottom, that I too "came to my senses" and ran home to my Heavenly Father. Did he turn me away because I had chosen to ignore him for so long? Noooooooooooooooooo - He RAN to me, and loved me back into a right relationship with him.
Jesus said in verse 10 of this same chapter that:" In the same way, I tell you there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents".
If you haven't yet gone home to ask God's forgiveness, I ask you to do that today. He is standing there waiting for you too; he will not turn you away, he will be there with his arms open wide, ready to receive you and show you His love.
Let Heaven have a party today because you came home!

Janelle

No comments: